First Look: Off-road electric motorcycle or e-bike? CAKE blur the lines
Is the Kalk INK, the latest model from Swedish firm CAKE, blurring the lines between e-bikes and off road electric motorcycles?
The e-bike world is blooming on a grand scale but which bikes come close to delivering the performance and ride experience that we know and love? Which are coming closest to the performacne of a motorcycle and can we even call it a motorcycle?
Swedish manufacturer CAKE might have the answer. The new model, the Kalk INK, is strongly influenced by downhill and enduro mountain bikes by design in both its ride feel as well as its handling characteristics they say.
This model is part of a three-strong ‘Kalk’ range: Kalk OR, KALK& and now the INK. Where the Kalk OR is designed as a “feather-light, precision-oriented motorbike delivering uncompromised off-road performance”, Cake say the INK is purpose-built for uncomplicated free-riding through the woods – which is why we’ve taken notice.
Based on the technology developed for the Kalk OR model, the INK features the same drivetrain, battery, and robust 6061 aluminium frame and swingarm as its brother.
The Kalk INK differs with a non-linkage rear suspension, lightweight “motocross” front suspension, a sturdy 19-inch wheelset, plus fenders and bodywork made from black, injection-molded polycarbonate (hence the INK moniker).
Top speed is a claimed +50mph/+80kmh with a ride time of up to three hours. We haven’t tested it so cannot offer any riding impressions but the perception we get is a bike clearly standing in a different place to the many e-bikes on the market.
The name Kalk, by the way, is derived directly from Kalksten, the limestone bedrock of the Swedish island of Gotland, famous for its enduro. It’s where CAKE’s test grounds are located.
CAKE KALK INK Specifications:
- Cost: $9500 USD/€9500 EUR available direct and dealers worldwide starting June 1, 2020
- Weight: 55kg/121lbs + battery 17kg/37lbs
- Top speed: +80km/h/+50mph
- Range: up to 3 hours
- Drivetrain: 11kW motor with claimed 42Nm peak torque on shaft/280Nm on wheel @ 3000rpm
- Front sprocket: 12 teeth with infused rubber for minimal noise
- Rear sprocket: 80 teeth
- Chain: size 420 o-ring
- Battery: 18650 lithium cells, 51.8 Volt, 50 Ah, 2.6 kWh, easy removable
- Configured for three riding modes:
- Explore limited 45kmh and 3-4h+ battery range/Excite for Enduro or active trail riding with 1-2 h riding time/Excel for track and race mode with maximum torque and speed with a riding time up to 1h
- Three Regeneration brake settings: freewheel, 2-stroke & 4-stroke.
- Charging: 0-80% takes 1,5h to charge in a standard outlet/0-100% takes 2,5h to charge in a standard outlet
- Frame: 6061 aluminium, extruded, forged, CNC jointed and welded
- Swing arm 6061 aluminium extruded tube profile
- Front suspension: USD sprung forks, 200mm travel
- Rear suspension: 205mm travel, direct mounted shock
- Wheelbase: 1310mm
- Seat height: 910mm (unloaded)
- Ground clearance: 300mm
- Head angle / Fork angle: 65 degrees
- Trail and offset: 87,4mm trail/22mm offset in triple clamps (36mm offset in forks)
- Wheels and tyres: Aluminium 7075 hubs, 19 × 1.85” custom designed aluminium motorcycle rims 19” off-road tyres
- Brakes: Motorcycle standard, four pistons calipers, alloy levers and 220mm/3.2mm stainless steel rotors
- Cockpit: Aerospace grade 7050 aluminum handlebar, 800 mm wide, 20 mm rise, 31.8mm
- Stem: Aerospace grade 7075 aluminum stem with integrated dashboard
- Headset: SKF bearings
- Bodywork: All black PC/ABS
More information: ridecake.com